Ingredients for Thandai
- 1 litre Milk
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 2 Saffron strands
Ingredients to be ground into a fine powder
- 1/4 cup Almonds, blanched and peeled
- 1/4 cup Cashew nuts
- 1/4 cup Pistachios
- 2 tablespoons Fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons Poppy seeds
- 8-10 Cardamom seeds ground to a fine Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon powder
- 10 Whole Black Peppercorns
- To being with, blanch the almonds and soak them in hot water for about 10 minutes. After that, peel the skin of the almonds and keep aside to make the Thandai.
- Now add the blanched almonds, cashew nuts, pistachios, cinnamon, fennel seeds, cardamom, black pepper and poppy seeds into a blender and blitz into a fine powder.
- Add 1/4thcups milk and grind the dry fruits into a fine paste. (You can also make extra and store it in the refrigerator to make Thandai anytime).
- Now, in a heavy bottom saucepan, add milk and saffron and bring the milk mixture to a boil.
- As the milk begins to boil, add sugar and put it on simmer stirring continuously till the sugar dissolves.
- Add the boiled saffron milk in the Thandai spice mixture, give it a good stir and leave it on simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Now turn off the heat and allow the Thandai to completely cool down so you can place it in the refrigerator.
Your delicious Thandai is ready, serve chilled!