Meat Balls – 300 gms Mutton / Beef mince
1 tsp Fennel seeds (saunf)
juice & zest (shredded outer yellow layer of lemon peel),
3-4 tbsp olive oil/vegetable oil,
2 garlic cloves, crushed,
400 grams tomatoes,
sugar a pinch
1 tbsp red Chili Sauce
1 tbsp Black Pepper Powder and salt to taste
2 cups Steamed Basmati Rice
1cup Coriander leaves (chopped),
1 tsp Oil
1 tbsp Butter and ½ tsp Jeera
- To make Meat Balls… Mix the mince with the fennel, lemon zest and season with very very little salt… just a pinch. Make 18 walnut-size balls. Heat oil in a pan and cook the meatballs on medium low until they turn brown. Be careful that while cooking they do not break. Once done, remove from the pan and set it aside.
- Now in same pan add the finely chopped onions and cook until softened, then add the crushed garlic and cook for another 1 minute. Now add chopped tomatoes, red pepper sauce, black pepper powder, a pinch of sugar, littlie salt, bring to a simmer and cook for 5-7 minutes till the tomatoes are properly done and you get even consistency. Now add the cooked meatballs to this gravy and cook for another 15 – 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile to make rice… heat oil in another wok/kadhai and add butter (this will avoid burning of butter), add jeera and let it splutter. Now add the cooked rice (make sure that you have boiled/steamed rice in salted water), adjust seasoning (if required), stir in chopped coriander leaves, mix well and cook for few minutes on high flame.
- To serve, make a small bed of coriander rice, place the Meat Balls in hot pepper sauce and serve hot.
- Suggestion – You can serve these meatballs on the bed any long pasta like spaghetti / ribbon pasta (sautéed in butter) instead of Coriander Rice.