Ugadi is celebrated especially in South India as New Year. It is also a harvest festival celebrated by consuming pachadi. A pachadi consists of the six flavours of taste corresponding to the six emotions of life.
Taste Ingredient Emotion
Bitter new neem flowers Sad
Sweet new jaggery Happiness
Spicy green chilliies or pepper Angry
Salty salt Fear
Sour new tamarind Disgust
Astringent new crop of green mango Surprise
A healthy mix of emotions is the essence of life and a balanced mix of tastes is an elixir for digestion
- 1 cup water
- 1 small lemon sized tamarind ball
- 1 tbsp chopped raw mango
- 1 tbsp neem flower
- 1 tbsp powdered jaggery
- 1/4 tsp pepper powder
- salt to taste
- Wash the raw mango and peel off the skin. Chop into small cubes
- Add 1/2 cup water to the tamarind and squeeze to extract juice.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup water
- Add powdered jaggery and mix well
- Now add chopped raw mango pieces.
- Add neem flower to it
- Add salt to taste
- Lastly add pepper powder and stir
Enjoy the elixir of life, the spectrum of emotions and stay healthy.